Friday 28 June 2013

Hospobaby's sweet adventure


Oh I know we are saying a very reluctant goodbye to summer, but I couldn’t, just couldn’t keep Hospobaby from trying the decadent gelatos on a stick at Milse in Britomart.
On a previous visit to Ortolana and Milse without our little foodie both Sid and I missed Zoya so terribly we had to repeat the experience with her again.
So on Anzac day we went to Ortolana for brunch. Everything tastes fresh and beautiful at Ortolana, this is perhaps the one restaurant that I enjoy the “garden to table” experience. We ordered the pork Piadina, an unleavened flatbread stuffed with soft cheese, sliced air-dried pork and mustard leaves.
Hospobaby devoured half of the Piadina by herself, though she picked the mustard leaves out. As she was merrily drinking her orange juice, we ordered our mains. 


Sid ordered the chicken that was crumbed in Parmesan and I ordered the beetroot lasagnotte that came with hazelnuts. Hospobaby had a few bites from each of us; she favoured her dad’s dish, which she believed was chicken nuggets. Hospobaby loved catching the last dregs of sunshine in Ortolana’s courtyard looking at patron’s dogs.
After our meal at Ortolana we swung around to the back and caught chef Brian Campbell at work in his temple of desserts. Milse makes me think I am in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. I want to eat everything and I am not even the child in the room. Hospobaby chose the chocolate gelato, while having tried the salted caramel on our last visit Sid and I settled on a chocolate dessert instead. Zoya refused to share her dessert with us and I completely empathize, I had to share half of my square chocolate dessert topped with a chocolate truffle that hid under it the most sensational salted caramel with Sid. Girls should never have to share chocolate with anyone, ever.


As we started to pack up to move to our brand new house we got informed that the compliance certificate was still about 2 weeks away, as a result we are now living in a serviced apartment in the city. Oscar the dog is in the kennel. I cant go back to the student flat days and so refuse to cook in a tiny kitchenette. After a quick and delicious meal at Mexico we decided to treat ourselves at Milse again this time for dessert. Sid ordered apple, salted caramel, feijoa and thyme, I ordered Gianduja (chocolate) banana and hazelnut. As we waited for our deserts to be made, hospobaby made the staff run around. She got a mint and chocolate macaroon to start, followed by another trip to the display that yielded a chocolate lavender truffle. Finally she persuaded the waitress to give her an orange and passion fruit gelato on a stick. We have decided to pretend that we are on holiday rather than wallowing in self-pity about being homeless; Milse made us all forget our sorrows and carried us into the land of sweet sweet dreams.

No comments:

Post a Comment